|Birthday||23rd of Calistril, 4608 AR|
|Occupation||Guild Mage (former), Field Researcher, Archaeological Society Member|
|Weight||68 lbs. (31kg)|
|Relatives||Raine Argensolde (mother)
Theodore Argensolde (father)
Farlia Argensolde (cousin)
The Sorceress between Life and Death
Runica Argensolde is a player character from the Cutefinder campaign. A sorceress wielding the fell power of undeath, she is emotionally subdued and terse, and operates on a strictly professional basis, as she is by her own words "nothing if not pragmatic," though her time at the guild alongside an eclectic crew helped her begin to turn around and forge lasting friendships. However, once her days became numbered, she quickly distanced herself and has instead joined the Archaeological Society under the alias "Urgathoa".
Her character sheet is here.
Though Runica is an elf, their telltale natural splendour is lost on her—her stature is gaunt and stunted, her expression is cold and her eyes lack the lustre of life in them. Under the hood of her cloak, the bangs of her stringy, dull white hair are cut flat while the rest is pulled back in a ponytail. Her outfit is drab in hue as well: a midnight blue gown hidden beneath a reinforced skirt and coat emblazoned with markings of the guild, topped off with a pair of worn, faded boots and dirt-stained cloth gloves.
Runica takes a detached view to most things; even the guild and her allies typically only get modest attention. Instead, she primarily focuses on the tasks at hand and anything that can get her closer to her own studies, doing so with an unfeeling and pragmatic attitude, and when she has need to communicate her observations or ideas, it's in a hushed voice and terse manner.
- —Myth-Weavers character sheet
- A guild member and close friend; owing to their meeting in hostile territory through a closed door, their first impression of each other was at the end of a crossbow in the most strained, technical sense, but since freeing and getting to know her, Runica has found friendship and sympathy in the hapless wanderer and her plight of dealing with arcane powers that have marred her body and changed her life. She has even decided to do everything she can with her resources and connections to help uncover any leads in Wren's family history that could guide her to the dragon that she descended from.
- Dacquoise Tart
- A friend from the guild; though initially a strictly professional relationship with no small amount of caution given their opposed sources of power, Runica and Dacquoise became amicable comrades during their time together in the guild, and could even be considered friends. On top of the promises made to each other for the sake of not stepping on any toes, Runica now relies on Dacquoise for her continued survival.
- Tanya Luden
- While not nearly so much on a friendly basis as the other two—indeed, they have butted heads over priorities before—Runica and Tanya did share some common ground while in the guild, based on their unorthodox approaches to their sources of arcane power. This resulted in the two working together on guild research, though Runica often ended up the level-headed subordinate to the hallborne tiefling's antics. With Tanya supposedly in Drakhan Tower and Runica's allegiances changed, this is no longer the case.
- Member of the Archaeological Society, a group unaffiliated with the guild; Runica considers him an anomaly. His very existence and the circumstances around it are unusual, which has caught Runica's interest and suspicion. She tries her best to keep him at arms' length and under constant surveillance owing to his massive eccentricity, but in these trying times, his lucid moments seem to be the only time anyone makes any sense writ the world at large. Unfortunately, some within the ranks of the Judicators thinks she works for him, and at this point it's not like they're wrong.
- Member of the Archaeological Society and Runica's immediate superior under her new affiliation. While known by Dacquoise for longer, he is still no less suspect than Algister, and has earned plenty of extra suspicion due to the heavy blanket of epic magic suppressing his true name and nature in the minds of those aorund him. Still, it was he who helped with recovering much of Scribe's data and belongings, and who offered Runica information on saving Dacquoise in exchange for joining him.
Born to an elven couple among Mosulk’s higher class—a seaside merchant-turned investor in trade and a professional duelist that first met him as a paid sword—Runica as a child was especially frail for her kind, yet at the same time prodigious, cunning and social, a veritable blessing to her parents. She took well to childhood lessons in trade and magic, carried a strong work ethic of that her social standing was no excuse to leave tasks she could do to her servants, and allthewhile cared well for her friends and family, even to cousins like Farlia, a tomboy who adored her mother and spent enough time over to be like a sister.
However, time only did Runica’s health worse; a wasting disease that the doctors and healers of the area couldn’t determine left her growth stunted and her strength fading until she was bedridden and only getting weaker still. Despite the money they poured into the task, no cause or cure was found, and they had little choice but to name another heir among the extended family while focusing their care on their terminal child.
It was only so soon after that disaster struck; a handling failure of an ancient relic being shipped out caused a plume of necromantic dust to spread over the shores of Mosulk, an incident that resulted in widespread death for those infected, a messy cleanup and tighter trade regulations and security upon the merchant class. Curiously, while comatose and exposed through an open window open when it happened, the blight instead gave Runica strength to move once more, though it took considerable “donations” from her parents to Drakhan’s researchers to ensure she wasn’t virulent or kept under quarantine.
Despite the study put into her, very little was understood of Runica’s condition; it was hypothesised the plague had taken comfortable root where her life force had ebbed rather than fighting for it, giving her a new lease on life and a source of fell magical power. It changed her far more than that, however; no longer the outreaching girl she once was, she became withdrawn, emotionally subdued and obsessed with the magic sustaining her, trusting it far too little to take for granted. With no obligation to the estate any longer, she ultimately left the care of her parents, using connections to move to the Capitol and join the guild to use and expand their research, a role she continues to this day.
- —Obsidian Portal character bio
A young elf with a gaunt and pale face approaches, a dull cloak shrouding the rest of her body from view. One gloved hand brushes it aside, fell energies gathering at her fingertips.
Female elf sorcerer 7
N medium humanoid (elf)
Init +3; Senses low-light vision, perception +6; +8 with familiar
hp 42 (7d6)
Fort +5 Reflex +7 Will +10; +2 vs. enchantments
Defensive Abilities Elven Immunities; DR 5/- vs. nonlethal; Immune sleep; Resist cold 5
Speed 30 ft.
Melee sickle +2 (1d6-1)
Ranged light crossbow +6 (1d8/19-20)
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 7th, concentration +11; +13 when casting defensively) 1/day—read magic Sorcerer Spells known (CL 7th, concentration +12; +14 when casting defensively) 3rd (DC18, 5/day)—dispel magic, lesser animate dead 2nd (DC17, 7/day)—blindness/deafness (DC19), false lifeB, invisibility, lipstitch (DC19) 1st (DC16, 8/day)—blood money, charm person, chill touchB (DC18), feather fall, magic missile, ray of enfeeblement (DC18), shocking graspR 0 (DC15, at will)—dancing lights, detect magic, ghost sound, message, mage hand, prestidigitation, touch of fatigue (DC17) B Bloodline spell Bloodline undead
Str 8 Dex 17 Con 10 Int 18 Wis 17 Cha 20
Base Atk +3 CMB +2 CMD 15
Feats Eschew ComponentsB, Greater Spell Focus (Necromancy), Heighten Spell, Spell Focus (Necromancy)B, Technologist, Versatile Spontaneity
Skills Appraise +12, Fly +7, Knowledge (Arcana) +14, Knowledge (History) +11, Knowledge (Nobility) +6, Knowledge (Religion) +14, Linguistics +6, Perception +6 (+8 with familiar), Sense Motive +6 (+8 with familiar), Spellcraft +14, Stealth +6, Use Magic Device +15
Traits Arcane Dabbler, Deathtouched, Guild VeteranB, Mogaru ImperialistB, Spirit Sense
Drawbacks Tainted Spirit
Languages Common, Draconic, Elven, Goblin, Necril, Orc, Sylvan
SQ Bloodline Familiar, Elven Magic
Combat Gear adamantine weapon blanch, ring of disable construct, scrolls of glitterdust, overland flight; wands of cure light wounds, mage armour and shield; Other Gear cloak of resistance +2, diamond dust worth 10,000 gp, glove of familiar's touch, handy haversack, haunted shoes, headband of alluring charisma +2, light crossbow with 10 bolts, mnemonic vestment, ring of spell knowledge II, sickle, 510gp and jewelry worth 50 gp
Bloodline Arcana Runica's magic can affect corporeal undead that were once humanoids as if they are still humanoid.
Bloodline Familiar Runica has a raven familiar by the name of Huginn.
Elven Magic Runica receives a +2 racial bonus on caster level checks made to overcome spell resistance. In addition, she receives a +2 racial bonus on Spellcraft skill checks made to identify the properties of magic items.
Ring of Spell Storing (Su) Runica has shocking grasp prepared in her ring of spell storing for self-defense.
Spirit Sense Runica has a +2 trait bonus on Perception checks to avoid being surprised and to detect invisible or incorporeal creatures.
A black bird watches from afar, a spark of intellect in its eyes and a faint smell of grave dirt on its feathers.
Male raven familiar of Runica Argensolde
N tiny magical beast
Init +2; Senses Low-light vision; perception +6
(+2 Dex, +3 Natural, +2 Size)
hp 21 (7d6/2)
Fort +2 Reflex +5 Will +7
Defensive Abilities Improved evasion
Speed 10 ft, fly 40 ft. (average)
Melee bite +7 (1d3-4)
Space 2½ ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Str 2 Dex 15 Con 8 Int 9 Wis 15 Cha 7
Base Atk +3 CMB -3 CMD 8
Skills Appraise +1, Fly +6, Knowledge (Arcana) +6, Knowledge (History) +6, Knowledge (Nobility) +1, Knowledge (Religion) +6, Linguistics +1, Perception +6, Sense Motive +5, Spellcraft +6, Stealth +16, Use Magic Device +5
Languages Common, Elven, Draconic
SQ Alertness, share spells, empathic link, deliver touch spells, speak with master, speak with animals of its kind, unliving physiology
Gear gem linked to Runica's glove of familiar's touch
Unliving Physiology (Su) Huginn is alive, but is treated as undead for all effects that affect undead differently from living creatures, such as cure spells and channeled energy.
Huginn is a raven that acts in servitude to Runica Argensolde as her familiar. He often serves as a scout, reporting his findings in response to Runica's words of "Tell me what your eyes have seen," but also acts as emotional support as well; their empathic link serves as a way for the elf to come to terms with her otherwise-repressed feelings, and his feathers lend towards him being a soft and soothing recipient for hugs.
- Runica was in fact Temia's first Pathfinder RPG character, albeit for a different campaign 3+ years prior that never actually started. While she has since been tweaked once in a while to account for new system material and campaign progression (e.g. her respective shift from Eldritch Heritage to the new Bloodline Familiar system and the Technologist feat), she remains largely the same in her overall design.
- Given the campaign's start date of February 8th, 2015, the starting point of the campaign would have been the 8th of Calistril, 4715 AR; Runica's 107th birthday was in fact on the day her mission with Dacquoise and Wren ended. Too bad it's also the day she started showing symptoms of the Mosulk plague, meaning it's probably her last. Happy birthday, Runica!